Any driver faces risks when they get behind the wheel, but these risks are heightened for teens. Their inexperience, combined with some dangerous driving habits, makes them vulnerable to accidents. By understanding the dangers teens face, you can help guide them to drive more safely.
Lack of Experience
Teens are new drivers, so they lack the experience and skills of more seasoned drivers. This lack of experience makes it more difficult for them to handle unexpected situations on the road.
Because of their inexperience and youth, teens haven’t built up the instinct to spot hazards preemptively and react quickly. Since their brains are still developing, their response times are slower. And generally, teens don’t multitask as well as adults.
Dangerous Driving Behaviors
Since their brains aren’t fully developed, teens tend to be more impulsive drivers, displaying dangerous driving habits:
- Speeding: Teens tend to speed more than older drivers
- Distracted Driving: Teens are more likely to drive while distracted by passengers, cell phones, and other devices
- Drowsy Driving: Teens who are deprived of sleep are at risk of drowsy driving, which can increase response times
- Reckless Driving: Teens tend to drive more aggressively, making spur-of-the-moment decisions
- Impaired Driving: Teens who drive drunk or drugged have impaired coordination and difficulty focusing on the road
- Not Wearing Seat Belts: Many teens fail to buckle up consistently, which can increase their risk of injury or even death in the event of a collision
Another risky driving behavior is having multiple teen passengers in the vehicle. Passengers can be distracting, and they might encourage risky driving behaviors.
Teen Driving Safety
The combination of inexperience and dangerous behaviors makes teens vulnerable on the road. By understanding these risks, you can have a conversation with your teen about safe driving.
If you need extra help approaching the topic of driving safety, contact Auto Safety Driving School at 813-875-4809. We’ll help your teen practice better driving safety through resources and private driving lessons.