Handing your teen the keys to the car can be an unnerving prospect, but knowing the most important rules to teach them can make it significantly less stressful. Helping your teen become the safest and most capable driver possible is critical.
Ways to Be a Safe Teen Driver
According to the NHTSA, in 2020, there were 2,276 people killed in crashes that involved a teenage driver. The following are some of the top rules to make your teen safer behind the wheel:
- Make sure they learn about your state’s Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) laws
- Remind them to never, ever drink and drive or do drugs
- Be a good role model and practice safe driving
- Don’t rely only on driver education for lessons and practice
- Demand that they always wear a seat belt and make sure they understand why
- Make sure they understand never to look at their phone while driving
In addition, it’s vital that you talk with your teen about how even just driving tired can be extremely dangerous. Drowsiness and fatigue are common causes of many driving accidents.
Check and Recheck
Remind them to always check their mirrors and blind spots before turning, backing up, and changing lanes. Even the most experienced driver will never be able to see a car in a blind spot!
Another excellent rule is to maintain enough safe distance between them and other vehicles. So many drivers underestimate the time it would take for their vehicle to stop in an emergency.
Finally, you can teach them to keep “LLLC” top of mind every time they drive: look ahead, look around, leave the room, and communicate. These four rules are inclusive of just about all other rules and can help teens form safe driving habits.
Register for Driver’s Education
When your teen is ready to learn to drive, you want the best for them, including the best driving school in Tampa. Contact Auto Safety Driving School today at (813) 875-4809.