Document Checklist When Applying for Your Learner’s Permit & License

Auto Safety Driving School Logo

Getting your learner’s permit or license is an exciting time. In order to get one, you need to bring a few things with you to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV). Here’s a quick look at what to bring.

What Documents Do You Need to Bring to the FLHSMV?

Before you take the test, pass a vision exam, and pay the $48 learner’s permit fee, you need to present some key documents to the FLHSMV:

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of Social Security number
  • Proof of residency
  • Proof that you’ve taken and passed the Traffic Laws and Substance Abuse Education (TLSAE) Course 
  • Completed form HSMV 71142 (Parental Consent for a Driver Application of a Minor) if applicable

The FLHSMV accepts only certain documents for each category:

Proof of Identity

There are several ways to prove your identity:

  • Birth certificate or a certified copy
  • Valid passport or passport card
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Form N-550, N-570, N560, or N-561

In many cases, your birth certificate is the easiest type of proof to bring.

Proof of Social Security Number

You can’t just tell the FLHSMV your SSN — you need to prove it with one of these:

  • Social Security card
  • Paycheck or check stub
  • W-2 form
  • SSA-1099 or another 1099 form (not handwritten)

If you don’t have any of these, you can contact the Social Security Administration for instructions on getting a new card.

Proof of Residency

You can choose from a large range of documents to prove your residency:

  • Lease or mortgage statement
  • Car insurance policy or car payment booklet
  • Florida voter registration card
  • Recent utility bill
  • Florida car or boat title or registration card
  • Selective Service card
  • Health insurance card that includes address
  • Current school transcripts
  • Government-issued professional license (not expired)
  • W-2 or 1099
  • Mail from a bank or other financial institution
  • Mail from a city, county, state, or federal agency
  • Homeowner’s insurance policy

As you can tell, many of these aren’t documents that teenagers have. A parent or guardian can prove residency for you if necessary.

Prepare to Be a Licensed Driver with Auto Safety Driving School

We can help ensure you’re prepared for any driving situation before you hit the road. If you want to learn more or schedule a lesson, call us at 813-875-4809.

Auto Safety Driving School Logo

Contact us today to start your journey towards safe and confident driving.

Reach out at (813) 875-4809 or go to our contact page for personalized assistance.